Rents, Wages and Profits
defines three kinds of peoples
- diagram of ebb and flow economy
“…Smith was the first important economist to distinguish clearly between profits that accrued to industrial capital and wages, rents and profits on merchant capital. He was also the first to appreciate the significance of the fact that the three principal categories of income – profits, rents, and wages, – corresponded to the three most important social classes in the capitalist system of his day – capitalists, landlords and the ‘free’ laborers who could not live unless they sold their labor power for a wage.”
E.K. Hunt, “History of Economic Thought: A Critical Perspective”
Horizontal Cash Flow
Money and Hands
Relentless directional pursuit
Left to right movement across the field of vision,
Appearance of some type of disruption,
Surface is a build up, a layering of blox. Broken up tumbling blox.
the hands appear to resemble a school of swimming fish
Red left hands dominate and direct the flow of other colored left hands.
bloxBuild v.1, ‘a visual arrangement’ that seeks form as a composition of blox
composition = rules of arrangement
- Change is the only constant
- Representation of movement
- Capture ‘momentary flow’
Physical break-up of the picture plane
with some elements rotated 90 degrees in space forming a real 3-d image in real space/time
tension between image elements
hands are digital images
moneys are real/concrete images
Velcro flows throughout the overall composition/arrangement,
uniting the blox into a whole/totality
Change is a fundamental element of a bloxBuild.
A bloxBuild is transitory and subject to change. Change occurs through audience/user participation.
Participation allows users:
- To follow their own association pathway
- To experiment with building their own cognitive structures
- To link their actions with internal emotional and identity needs
A bloxBuild has a flexible structural architecture.
This flexibility allows for the rearrangement of a finite set of elements. The process of rearrangement, of generating multiple versions, or ‘versioning’, is an essential characteristic of a bloxBuild.
A bloxBuild is easy to work with.
blox use the hooks and loops of Velcro to connect together. The coupling of blox creates a composition called a bloxBuild.
Blox, the basic components of a bloxBuild, are various sizes.
A bloxBuild is formed through the composing of blox into an arrangement.
Conceptually blox are:
- An instance of an imageObject, a class of objects that exist in the space between painting and sculpture.
- Beyond easel painting
Physically blox are:
- The base material is Styrofoam building insulation
- Vellcro, collage and acrylic paint applied to the surface form an allover image
- Velcro is used for the coupling of blox to each other and the wall mount